Saturday, December 20, 2008

Last one of the year!

As the year draws to a close, December 6 marked my last test for RSR Racing this year. With weather not playing ball as usual at this time of year it was no different at Mallory Park.

With proceeding delayed until just before midday due to ice on the track my first session was suitably steady. One of the riders suggested that we run a wet compound front to maximise the grip from the wet and slippery Mallory Park surface. With track conditions hardly offering us an opportunity to improve on our quickest times, and not having ridden on wet tyres before I decided it would be a valuable experience.

My first session was suitably steady and the rest of the day was a bit like learning the track again, guessing where the grip was. With no major moments the day went steady, until the last session of the day.

Pushing my luck resulted in a rear end slide at Edwina's, followed by an ambitious overtaking attempt that nearly landed me face first on the grass. The last session of the day the track was in it's best condition and despite being part of a handful of riders who were black flagged for dark visors due to the fading light, I quickly got back on track to make the most of it.

I was then part of a mini race after gradually catching up to two riders going quite well. After sitting behind them for a handful of laps I found where I was a little bit quicker and went to pass the rider in front at the chicane. However I left my braking a little bit late and was heading for a two in one corner manoeuvre, which was not the plan. As I squeezed the front brake on more and more I decided it wasn't worth risking taking the both of us out. I let off the breaks and went under the leading rider and straight across the unforgiving saturated grass. I managed to keep the Yamaha upright and made it back to the tarmac having felt like a bit of an arsehole' for ruining our dabble.

Never the less we learn by our mistakes and hopefully I will have got them out of the way by early next year. My Birthday and Christmas has brought me a chest protector and a new pair of Alpinestar boots, which look way too good for me to wear. Roll on the new year when the weather brightens up and the talking stops!

No comments: